Chiefs woes continues as they lose 2-1 against SSU


Kaizer Chiefs dominated large parts of their DStv Premiership encounter against SuperSport United, but left Atteridgeville with nothing to show for it as they slumped to a disappointing defeat.

The Amakhosi dominated the first half against Matsatsantsa, starting the game very positively and creating the better of the chances.

Unlike the previous game, the opening minutes of the game were lively with Chiefs bossing the midfield, creating better chances and asking all the questions. The hosts were fairly quiet and did not threaten as Chiefs controlled the game in the opening minutes.

Njabulo Blom had the first chance of the game when he was played through in space on the right, but his goal-bound shot was blocked by veteran former Chiefs left-back Onismor Bhasera.

Within the first 15 minutes of the game, Lebogang Manyama had two good chances to give Chiefs the lead. First being set up by Philani Zulu on the left, before blasting his shot over the crossbar. Seconds later, Manyama was again teed up, this time by Blom on the right, but his shot was deflected for a corner.

The Amakhosi continued to dominate, with Khama Billiat in particular looking sprightly, but they failed to turn their dominance into goals.

It was one-way traffic, with the home team barely getting a touch, though left winger Jamie Webber did get a shot on goal in the 25th minute, his effort stinging Itumeleng Khune’s gloves as the Chiefs stopper gathered at the second attempt.

A minute before halftime, Manyama finally got a shot on target, but his attempt was tamely straight at SuperSport keeper Ronwen Williams.

Chiefs would rue their wastefulness in front of goal, when they were ruthlessly punished against the run of play on the stroke of half time.

Chiefs skipper Khune gifted SuperSport possession on the edge of his penalty area with a woeful goal-kick, the ball falling to Sipho Mbule, who slid a through ball for Bradley Grobler, who does not look such gift horses in the mouth and chipped Khune for the game’s opener.

It was tough on the Amakhosi, who would have wondered just how they went down the tunnel behind at half time.


Things quickly went from bad to worse for the Amakhosi after the break, as Grobler this time turned provider, cutting the ball back after a good run down the left flank for Mbule to smash the ball home past Khune.

The scoreline flattered the hosts after an hour, but they were the more clinical in the penalty area, and made Chiefs pay.

On the hour mark Dumsani Zuma was fouled by Bongani Khumalo on the edge of the box. Chiefs youngster, Nkosinghipile Ngcobo, took the responsibility of taking the free kick, but his powerful dead ball effort thudded back off the crossbar with Williams well-beaten.

Zuma again had another golden opportunity for Chiefs in the six-yard area minutes later, but he banged his effort well over the crossbar when off balance.

Chiefs were dealt a hammer blow in the 63rd minute, when Philani Zulu was shown a straight red card in the 63rd minute for trodding on the achilles of Gamphani Lungu.

Amakhosi’s slim chances seemed to disappear with the dismissal, as the fizz went out of their game and they battled to break down a resolute United.

Chiefs were, however, thrown a lifeline when Zuma was brought down in the box by Matsatsantsa defender Luke Fleurs in the 87th minute. Manyama slotted the penalty past Williams comfortably to give Chiefs a glimmer of hope.

In the last minute of the game Erick Mathoho had a big chance to equalise for Amakhosi, with Zuma playing a cross to the far post from the left, but ‘Tower’ had his header blocked to deny Chiefs a share of the spoils.

SuperSport United moved up to fourth on the log with the win, as Chiefs dropped down to the bottom half of the table to 12th spot after seven games, following their third defeat of the season.

SuperSport United      (1) 2 (Grobler 45’, Mbule 53’)

Kaizer Chiefs                (0) 1 (Manyama 88’, pen)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.