Kaizer Chiefs fell to a 2-0 home loss against Maritzburg

Kaizer Chiefs fell to a 2-0 home loss in the DStv Premiership on Saturday afternoon at FNB Stadium.  Judas Moseamedi scored a brace for the visitors in the second half. The first coming in the 67th minute and his second in the 79th minute.

Shortly thereafter as Chiefs attacked, Judas Moseamedi who was back defending, managed to clear the ball far up field. Chiefs defender Daniel Cardoso attempted to pass the ball back to goalkeeper Daniel Akpeyi. His pass fell short and with Thabiso Kutumela chasing the loose ball Akpeyi came way out of his 18-yard area and cleared the danger.

In the 38th minute, the Chiefs keeper was knocked out by Moseamedi as he came off his line to collect a high ball. With his focus on the ball, the Chiefs keeper did not see the Maritzburg attacker coming after the ball. After a collision between the two, Akpeyi had the wind knocked out of him but managed to continue on.

Billiat tried his luck from the edge of the Maritzburg 18-yard area in the final five minutes of the first half, as he tried to curl the ball round Jethren Barr but the Maritzburg keeper was alert to the danger and got down to make the save. In referees added time at the end of the first half, Travis Graham hacked down Khama Billiat on the edge of the Maritzburg 18-yard area. Chiefs were unable to capitalise from the resulting free kick taken by Parker as the first half ended 0-0.

That tackle on Billiat by Graham seemed to take its toll on the Chiefs midfielder as he was substituted three minutes into the second half and was replaced by Dumsani Zuma with a right leg strain, as Maritzburg’s heavy handed tactics took its toll on the dangerous winger who was subject to a number of over-zealous tackles.

Chiefs fell behind in the 67th minute when a Maritzburg’s attack from the left saw Daniel Morgan float the ball goal-wards, Daniel Cardoso managed to head the ball away from danger, but the ball fell to Gadinkame Modise. He in turn sent the ball back towards goal with a left footed cross which saw Moseamedi get in front of Anthony Akumu and glance the ball past Akpeyi to give the Maritzburg the lead.

Akumu did well in the 75th minute to dispossess Moseamedi and help launch an attack from the half-way line linking with Darrel Matsheke before he sent the ball to Lazalous Kambole. He lifted the ball back towards Matsheke whose effort at goal went just over the Maritzburg goal.

With eleven minutes to go, Chiefs fell further behind. A throw-in from the left by Morgan looped over Ramahlwe Mphahlele, and fell invitingly for Moseamedi who drifted in behind him and in one swift move controlled the ball with the outside of his left leg, turned and drilled the ball across goal past Akpeyi to make it 2-0.

Deep into referee’s added time at the end of the game, Zuma glided past the Maritzburg defence before unleashing a ferocious shot from just outside the 18-yard area. He had Barr diving to his right to push the ball away for a corner.

Not the ideal result for Amakhosi who will now turn their focus to their next DStv Premiership against AmaZulu on the road on Wednesday evening.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.